Brampton and District

Brampton is a small market town with a population of some 4000. It is situated on the east side of Carlisle and is built of local sandstone in a hollow formed by glacial action.

In the centre of the town is the octagonal Moot Hall, built in 1817, with an external staircase to its upper entrance, pointed windows and a square turret.

The building now houses the Tourist Information Centre.

The Moot Hall, Brampton

North-west of the town is an exceptionally large motte, about 135 feet high. On it is a statue of the 7th Earl of Carlisle.

The Motte, Brampton

Talkin Tarn Country Park lies two miles south-east of Brampton on the B6413 road to Castle Carrock. There is a 65 acre lake set amid 120 acres of farmland and woodland.

The tarn is an ideal place for active recreation or a quiet stroll through the mature woodlands.

Talkin Tarn

About two miles south of Brampton is Gelt Woods, a delightful walk, and also an RSPB nature reserve. In the woods is a rock with an inscription carved by a Roman soldier in the 3rd Century.

Gelt Woods. Picture coming soon.

Hadrian's Wall is the most important monument built by the Romans in Britain. It stretches seventy-three miles from Wallsend near Newcastle, across the neck of England to the Solway in North West Cumbria. Within Cumbria are Banks Turret and Birdoswald Roman Fort, a few miles from Brampton.

Opposite St Martin's Church is a modern statue, commemorating the Emperor Hadrian.

Birdoswald Roman Fort

To the East is Lanercost Priory, founded about 1166 by Henry II in 1166. When completed in 1220, canons came from the priory in Norfolk, and remained for some 370 years until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1536, by Henry VIII.

Lanercost Priory Church has three stained glass windows by Edward Burne-Jones, and extensive priory ruins under the care of English Heritage.

Lanercost Priory

For more information about these and other places of interest, see the 'links' page.


If you can't see the menu on the left, select here for the website of St Martin's Church, Brampton, Cumbria.